I like simple. I don’t like clutter. Here is my list of things I think you should have in every room of your home along with a few room decoration rules that I try to follow.
- Make it cute, but functional
- Have a focal point
- Hide the icky, the extra and the sticky (meaning messy)
- Carry through color
- Make it you, let your personality show
- Always have extra… but don’t let it perplex ya (I know, I’m a dork)
- Large trashcan on each floor
- One “donate” container on each floor
- One portable cleaning bucket/station
In every room you should have:
- Plants or fresh flowers (or you can settle for fake flowers)
- Special memory
Entry way / mud room
- Keep most worn shoes and coats in a warm room no matter what
Living Room (where your main TV is located)
- Adjustable lighting options (twinkly romantic lights, blinds to open, floor lamp and ceiling light)
- Sheet sets that match (then get rid of all the other random sheets)
- Nice matching hangers
- Blanket boxes/bins
- White towels
- White shower curtain
- Family yearbook
- Matching waterproof containers with easy to read labels
More tips to come!
- Emergency Kit
- Dining Room
I have one binder that I keep all of the important paper items I need in that stays out, Everything else gets sorted, filed or trashed.
Here is what I keep in my “Everything Binder”
- Birth Certificates
- Social Security Cards
- Most Recent Bills
- List of All Addresses (if someone moves and gives me their new address, I stash it in the folder and update my master list once a year)
- Grocery Coupons
- Retail Coupons
- List of Passwords, Usernames and Bank Accounts
What do you use all the time that you would include in your binder?
I am crazy when it comes to keeping a clean home.
Here are a few of the super easy tips and tricks I have tried and loved!!
- Clorox Toilet Bowl Gel Cleaner: I use this stuff all over the place
- Around the edges of the tub (I let it sit for a while on really icky spots)
- In the toilet… duh!
- Around the edge of the sink where all the nasties like to hang out
- In my mop water
- Have Big Storage Containers. Never Small.
- Big storage containers are great because you can shove the big clunky items in them along with the little stuff. If you start getting a lot of little storage baskets, you start to get clutter.
- Give This Minimalism Thing a Try.
- Go through your entire house top to bottom, don’t skip a drawer, closet, bin, envelope, nook or cranny and get rid of anything you don’t use at least twice a month. Every item you don’t have is an item you don’t have to clean, sort, organize.
- Mix Dawn Dish Soap and Jet Dry and use it to clean:
- Shower (no more water spots)
- Faucets – look SO shiny
- Mirror in the Shower
I have what I call a “master calendar” that I use when I update my calendar from year to year. This saves me hours of time when compiling information for my calendar for the next year.
It also takes away the anxiety of facing the day to day “we forgot to…insert random monthly chore here”.
When I first realized that having to pull everything together every year was repetitive, annoying and preventable – I decided to take action.
For one full year I kept a calendar and wrote down all of my to-do’s, Birthdays that showed up in conversation or on Facebook. Below is a list of all the items that I included in my date journal. Each year, I use my master calendar from the year before to write in all of the following information so I know when it needs to get done.
- Bill Due Dates
- Car Maintenance
- Dates my Company is Closed
- Dates of Fun Family Traditions
- Dates that Important People Passed
- Dentist Appointments
- Doctors Appointments
- Eye Appointments
- Lease Renewals
- License Plates
- Monthly Goals
- Monthly Home Maintenance
- Pay Check Dates
- Paycheck Dates
- Prescription Renewal Dates
- Tax Due Dates
- Vacation Dates
- Vet Appointments
- When to Plant Items in My Garden
I have one bucket that I take with me as I clean my house. I don’t keep any extra cleaning supplies around. Just one bucket. I feel safer knowing I don’t have chemicals sitting around and have a ton of free cabinet space.
Here is what I keep in my bucket:
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Bleach Spray
- Carpet Brush
- Carpet Cleaner
- Essential Oils
- Garbage Bags
- Glass Cleaner
- Jewelry Cleaner
- Rubber Gloves
- Stainless Steel Cleaner
- Swiffer Dusters
- Toilet Brush
What item is a must in your cleaning kit??