My biggest fear was how do you go about raising a strong, kind man in a world like today. When even our president makes demeaning comments about women?
This isn’t just about equality and sexism. I believe everyone is different and everyone is equal. I want to tell him to be strong and manly and that be okay. BUT… if he likes dolls and dresses – that’s cool too.
I just don’t know how to explain to him in today’s world that it’s okay to be tough and determined regardless of what you are fighting for without sounding sexist.
FEARS…here are just a few more of mine:
- He won’t want to be my buddy.
- I don’t know anything about sports.
- He will be too strong for me.
- Breastfeeding. Is it weird because he’s male and I’m a female?
- He’s going to get someone pregnant. I might not like her. I hope he gets married first. What if she’s a bitch?
- Circumcision seems really cruel (leave that one up to the hubs.)
- I hate the word Penis. HATE. It just freaks me out.
- I will never be able to have nice things because they are all going to get broken.
- I’m not a good cook and boys eat a lot.
- He’s going to have friends. Gross friends. They are going to do dumb stuff.
- All my friends and family have girls. Guess play dates are out.
- My dad is going to like this kid more than me.
- My mom is going to be sad she isn’t having a granddaughter.
- Boys are bigger than girls and I have to push that thing out my…
- If our second is a girl, he won’t have a brother and I will have failed him.
HOPES…what I want to teach my son:
- Be Kind. To yourself, to women, to other men, to the elderly, to those in need. Just be kind.
- Be Strong and Be Tough. Your determination will help you get through anything.
- Be Yourself. If you like sports. Great! If you like music, Great! If you like art, Great!
- Dress Well. It changes how people perceive you. Wear a belt, wear a tie occasionally, and don’t have holes in your pants and food on your shirt. You have a home, please look like it.
- Shave & cut Your Hair. There is NOTHING better than a well-groomed man (or human for that matter).
- Wear Cologne. You ever want to get married? Smell like it.